Wednesday 21 December 2016

Snow


Winter is finally upon us, although we've had snow for the better part of a week.

Traditionally, the first snows of the season bring driving and traffic complications, shoveling and snow-blowing adventures, and the dreamy anticipation of school cancellation.

Luckily, a good dumping of packing snow, in my part of the world, usually precedes the construction of countless incarnations of snow creatures: snowmen, snow-women, snow-babies, snow families, and some unique snow-creatures that truly defy recognition.

The other day I photographed the snow family, pictured above, simply because they made me laugh. The snow dad's mustache especially caught my fancy ... he looked like a cross between the legendary Frosty and Super Mario.

Snow does make a lot of work for many; but it also brings the opportunity for tobogganing, skiing, snowshoeing, sleigh-riding, and other much loved winter sporting activities for those who live for the great chilly out-of-doors.

That said, I am not a fan of winter: I really do not like being consistently cold or having to bundle up. Daily I can be heard playfully lamenting, "Have I told you lately that I hate winter?" - My kids grew up on it! - Yet, somehow, snow and snow people always take a bit of the frosty sting out of my winter-weary mood.

So, here’s to the first day of winter; and, while we're at it, here's to snow! If you can get past the cold and the wet heaviness of clearing it, snow magically creates a fun and festive atmosphere that almost warms even my grouchy winter-phobic heart.