Thursday 18 August 2016

Darling Dalvay!


Two years ago today, my husband, Doug and I were touring around PEI together; and, one of the highlights, at least for me, was the charming hotel known as Dalvay by the Sea.

I had been feeling pretty unwell that morning - a victim of lobster in my dinner the night before - and wasn't much appreciating the scenery. When Doug suddenly pulled the van over and suggested that I get out, I couldn't imagine what he could be up to.

As I made my way around to his side of the van, though, I suddenly realized what Doug wanted me to see. The famous Dalvay Hotel - often used as the White Sands Hotel in TV's Anne of Green Gables and Road to Avonlea - stood beckoning to me across a beautiful expanse of glistening water.

Hardly looking for traffic as I crossed the country road, I was drawn down a set of wooden steps to a porch-like viewing area. By the time Doug caught up with me, camera in tow, I was leaning on the wooden railing beaming at the absolutely gorgeous view with delighted tears in my eyes.

It was almost the most beautiful sight I'd ever seen, and the pictures we took hardly do it justice. The photo of Doug and I, above, was accomplished with the camera timer, as there were no other tourists around.

A picture postcard moment, alone together - How perfect!

It was a lovely few moments, gazing across the water, after which we drove around the lake for a tour of the hotel grounds. A delicious lunch in the Dalvay dining room was a welcome treat, especially for me, as I'd had to skip breakfast.

The icing on the cake, so to speak, would have been a chance to stay in the hotel overnight; however, that pricey treat would have to wait for another sojourn ... something to look forward to, don't you know.

Kudos, though, to my awesome husband for surprising me with a wonderful side trip to darling Dalvay: It is, even now, a special memory two years later.

The picture in my mind still brings tears to my eyes and I know I'll remember it always!